Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

This film should have been titled Queen Ravenna the Home Wrecker....
The trailers for SWATH cast a spell on me that had me actually believe Kristen Stewart could actually bring something unique and exciting to the role of Snow White.....I was wrong. Instead we got Elizabeth Swan in Armor with the same level of enthusiasm she brings to all her roles....slightly above unconscious.
Meanwhile Charlize Theron absolutely hit a grand slam with her character Queen Ravenna! She commanded every scene she was in and dare I say without her in this movie it just wouldn't have been as good as it was. I'm not saying the movie was a blockbuster but Charlize Theron's performance was what made this movie rise above average/forgettable fantasy film.
I've seen Chris Hemsworth act in Thor and the Avengers movie....I know he can act and he can hold his own with big name actors like Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans and  but his scenes with Kristen Stewart lacked any urgency or Charisma....maybe he was intended to appear hung over throughout the film or maybe he didn't have much to play off of....yes I mean Stewart.
I was really hoping she was going to do something special with the role, kinda like this




 but instead we get...


 

I did enjoy the part where the Huntsman finds Snow White in the Dark Forest and they encounter the Lord of the Forest and all the magical sprites and animals come to life that scene was visually impressive....but not entirely original...

SWATH 2012


Princess Mononoke 1997



I liked the Dwarves in SWATH were original and I liked they're design...I wished I could understand them a little better though.
The special effects were very well done in SWatH they weren't over done and reemphasized the fact that this is a fantasy movie based on a fairy tale.
The effects for Ravenna were also one of the most impressive parts in the movie, the transformation into crows, the aging effects the man in the mirror and the black army were all incredible.

If you have Disney's Snow White in one hand and SWatH in the other go with Walt.....

C+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment