Saturday, February 1, 2014

Movie Review: The Kings of Summer

The Kings of Summer totally flew under my radar when it first came out last year, this little gem totally reminds me of myself when I was that age. In fact almost every character reminds me of a friend I had back then! And we all have a Biaggio, and our neighborhood had one but he was Greek......fortunately he never got bit by a snake.
Like Joe I too built a house, mine was in a tree about 15 feet off the ground out of wood me and my friends found laying around at construction sites or the stuff the local hardware stores were discarding. Ours may not have been as awesome as Joe's with a slide and a port-a-potty door but ours had a roof and three walls with some "coming-of-age wallpaper we found laying in the woods....wink wink nudge nudge. We would play manhunt in the woods, acorn wars (surprisingly none of us lost an eye), and just hang out and talk about what ever. 
The Kings of Summer is a simple movie that captures the spirit of that time in a young boys life, that time between going to camp and getting your first summer job, the time when boys start seeing girls differently, the time when parent's start to become embarrassing
And for the record I would have to say, if I were to compare my mother to a Street Fighter character Blanca is a good choice but Kefka from FFVI would be better.
The Kings of Summer was a very simple, honest film that brought me back to a simpler time in my life, I think many guys will relate to this movie. And Nick Offerman who plays Joe's father had me laughing so hard I was crying....totally reminded me of my best friends father!
B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment