Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Movie Review: Gravity

Gravity is the most visually stunning action movie I've seen in a very long time!
Wait, did I just say action movie!?
Yes, yes I did. Just because Gravity takes place in Space it has more in common with The Poseidon Adventure than it does with 2001 A Space Odyssey or Aliens. If Gravity came out in the 30's, 40's or 50's it would definitely fall in the Sci-fi genre but today in the year 2013 there's nothing fictitious in Gravity except perhaps Sandra Bullock pulling a Wall E!
Speaking of Sandra, when I saw the first trailer for Gravity I was wowed but then I saw Clooney and Bullock and was perplexed, this is not the type of movie I would ever expect to see her name attached to. Sandra surprised me in Crash and again in Gravity, she convinced me that she was a Nasa engineer who found a reason to survive a disaster of biblical proportions. I really enjoyed her metamorphosis from the queezy engineer fixing a com relay at the beginning of the film to a Human being hell bent on living and getting back to Earth....I won't make the obvious comparison.
Clooney did a solid job (as usual) as Lt. Kowalski, a veteran Astronaut on his final mission prior to retiring, who's got a story for every situation....except the one that happens.
And that's it! This movie has two (2) actors total for the majority of the 90 minuets, and actually it's pretty much Sandra Bullock alone throughout the film, and she holds it down like a boss.
Aside from Clooney and Bullock the biggest star in this movie is the special effects, from the destruction of the shuttle in the vastness of space to the claustrophobic scenes inside the ISS, as well as the scene where she tries to free the Soyuz from the ISS, oh my god the special effects in Gravity totally had me on the edge of my seat yelling at the screen!
You are not going to fully appreciate this movie unless you see it  in IMAX 3D! I'm no advocate of 3D but this movie trully lends itself to be seen in that format!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment