Sunday, March 3, 2019

Movie Review: Alita Battle Angel

Now this is Motorballing!
I’m glad I was able to see Alita Battle Angel before it was taken out of the theater before it was replaced by Captain Marvel. Honestly the trailers did not do this movie any justice! I was very surprised how much emotion this film evoked. For a cyborg that kicked so much ass Alita has a surprisingly big heart....literally and figuratively! As I mentioned previously the trailers didn't grab me and when I saw Alita, her eyes took me out of it, but when I was watching the movie there is so much conveyed in her eyes and it really wasn't an issue for me at all. I've grown up watch anime so It was weird that the trailer bugged me so much.
The movie seemed pretty faithful to the source material at least for the first half, I never made it thru the Anime....maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.
Alita Battle Angel is a simple sci fi story that isn't bogged down with agenda's and expectations....it's refreshing and enjoyable!
There is a few scene's that are left unanswered that scream sequel which I hope get's green lit. I'd love to learn more about this "universe" like who/what is on Mars that built 99? What was the battle on the moon about? Why did the Martians want to destroy Elysium oops I mean Zalem.
The fights scenes were cool and I appreciate they didn't go crazy with the camera work.
I'm not entirely sure the Megaman Helmet was an intentional homage but it was cool, also I swear Cameron gave a nod to the Maker when one of the HK's at the Motorball race at the end dropped what looked ALOT like one of Anakin Skywalker's Podrace engines!




B

No comments:

Post a Comment